How To Have A Long, Happy and Healthy Relationship……………With Your Makeup.
Hope your all happy and smiling; Spring is on it’s way,yeah.
I was on Facebook the other day and came across an article on a beauty page claiming that we should all be getting rid of our makeup if it’s older than 5 months and up to a year old. This really annoyed me. Nobody is telling me that i am throwing away my makeup after 5 months especially as i wear expensive products. I have some makeup products that are 7 years old and they are as good today as the day i bought them.
I wrote in the comments box below the article, that makeup can last years if stored correctly and if you regularly cleaned your brushes. Needless to say, i never got a response mmm.
The point i want to make here is exactly the same as the response i gave to that article. If you want your makeup to last the course and not end up drying out, smelling odd, or turning a funny colour, then you need to handle it correctly. Why would you want to abuse it? All it takes is simple common sense steps which will ensure its life and you value for money.
Here are my tips for giving your makeup a long shelf life and it’s worked for me.
1.First and most importantly is, wash your makeup brushes. You may be surprised if i tell you some people keep using the same brushes for up to 6 months without washing them.Yuck! I wash mine every week/fortnight without fail. They hold dirt, dead skin cells and may have dust mites. I do not use any of the fancy brush cleaners either, just shampoo and it does a great job. Include makeup sponges and brushes that come with the product as well. You may only use them now and again but it will still shorten the shelf life of your product.
2. Clean your makeup bags or throw away and start with a new one. They get filthy, its a fact. Loose lids and lipstick caps come off, leaving a mess hanging around at the bottom of the bag and covering your brushes; etc.
3. One brush, one product. If you are applying an eyeshadow, use one brush if you are applying another colour, then use a different brush and another one to blend colours. This will stop your makeup becoming discoloured by dipping into different makeups.
4. Store all makeup in a cool, dry environment and i even store it in the original outer boxes were possible. If it’s in your car, take it out when you get home. Cars get extremely hot or cold depending on the weather.
6. Eventually, the anti humectants, anti bacterial and anti fungal ingredients will break down in your products and generally do much faster in high street ones, so just keep covered as much as possible to avoid airborne baddies and dust mites.
7. You and only you should use your makeup. Your friends may have infections they are unaware of; such as, the start of a boil or Conjunctivitis. Both are caused by ‘normal flora’ (a mix of bacteria we all have on our faces, ears, nose mouth and hands) which have multiplied heavily due to being run down; etc. You don’t want to end up getting skin and eye infections as well as infecting your makeup. I avoid using makeup testers at beauty counters for this reason.*
*Bacteria will generally only survive for about 3-4 hours on makeup products as makeup is not a food source for it.; however, if you use the same makeup within that time, you are likely to be contaminated with microbes from others hands, noses and mouth as well as E.coli, (above right) which is from fecal matter. Hope your not eating right now!!!
There you go. Easy steps to give you a long happy and healthy relationship with your makeup. If you have any other techniques to ensuring a long shelf life of your makeup, then i would love to hear them. Until next time, have fun and take care. 😉